site creation software

The Importance of Energy Saving

It is undoubtedly the fastest, most economical and most effective way to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere due to their use. The concept of energy saving is based on trying to find ways to reduce energy consumption and improve the energy efficiency of energy-consuming equipment without affecting user comfort conditions. This reduces energy demand and consequently reduces fuel consumption.

Why do I need to save energy?

Because ...

  1. I reduce the consumption of fossil fuels that are non-renewable and tend to run out.
  2. I help my country try to reduce and make less dependent on fuel imports.
  3. I reduce environmental pollution.
  4. I protect my own health and the health of the people I love.
  5. I pay less for the energy I use and I don't waste any time.
  6. I set a good example for others to do the same.

But to save energy, however, one must first understand the importance of saving energy and cultivate an environmental awareness among its users. To do this requires proper and systematic information to citizens of all ages in order to raise awareness of energy saving issues and to change their behavior.

Why don't people save energy?


  1. They do not know that they need to save energy.
  2. They do not know where to save.
  3. They do not know how to save.
  4. They are not encouraged to save.

The terms energy savings and energy efficiency are two related but different concepts. There are many steps we can take to use less energy (saving) in a smart way (efficiently).

Energy Saving is the behavior that results in less energy consumption. For example, shutting off room lights when we leave is a behavior that helps save energy.

Energy Efficiency is the use of technology that produces the same result with less energy. The use of fluorescent lamps instead of conventional incandescent lamps, which produce the same amount of light using less energy, is an example of energy efficiency. However, the decision to replace incandescent bulbs with better energy efficient ones is an energy saving action.

You know that…

  • When the office lighting stays open all night, as much energy is used within a year as to warm a home for almost three months.
  • When a photocopier stays on all night long, it wastes as much energy as it takes to make 30 cups of tea.
  • When a computer stays lit all night for one year, enough carbon dioxide emissions are created to fill a two-storey bus.
  • When a refrigerator door stays open for 30 minutes a day, it wastes enough energy at one time to light a lighthouse for almost four days.
  • Only 10% of the energy consumed by common incandescent lamps is used for lighting and the remaining 90% of energy is converted to heat and lost.
  • For every kilowatt-hour of electricity saved, one kilogram of less carbon dioxide is emitted into the atmosphere.

234 Petrou Rally Ave. Nikea, Greece


Email:                 Telephone: (+30) 210 4910550